Friday, January 29, 2010

I Wonder...



The most wonderful lessons in a classroom come from those not even planned.  After graphing today's high temperature on our science graph, we made clouds out of shaving cream and Elmer's glue, it was FUN!  We made cirrus, cumulus, stratus, and cumulonimbus clouds, they turned out so beautiful!!!!  We were hanging them in the hallway and one of my students said out of the blue, "I wonder so many things Mrs. Busch."  "Like what Griffin?"  "I wonder what the longest word in the english language is."  "That's a really interesting wonder."  Another student that was in the hallway said, "I wonder how many languages there are in the world."  So I grabbed that and ran with it.........we all went back into the classroom after admiring our clouds and I asked more students what they wonder.  Hands flew into the air.  So.......we made an "I Wonder..." chart in our classroom.  I put little sticky notes out so students can write down their wonders, it is filled!!!  So this afternoon we traveled down to the computer lab and library and tried to answer some of those "I wonders...."  It was an amazing day!  I didn't lecture, but they were learning and reading, it was truly amazing.

The longest word in the english language as of this moment:  pneumonoultramicroscropicsilicvolcaroconiosis

"To arrive at the edge of the world's knowledge, seek out the most complex and sophisticated minds, put them in a room together, and have them ask each other the questions they are asking themselves."

3 comments:

  1. I wonder why my kids can't have a teacher like Mrs. Busch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are positivily wonderful! I wish I were back in forth grade, living in Ohio, and had you for my teacher! Mrs. Henderson was great, but I don't remember having learned in such a crative way! Sure love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A simply beautiful, wondrous day Mrs. Busch.

    ReplyDelete